Colossal Biosciences: Work For A Biotech Pioneer
Colossal Biosciences is a pioneering biotech startup aiming to be the first de-extinction.
3 min read 02 Mar, 2023
What are the aims of Colossal Biosciences?
Colossal Biosciences is a biotechnology and de-extinction company with aims to resurrect the Wooly Mammoth, Tasmanian Tiger and the Dodo. Recently Colossal Biosciences have also expressed an interest to contribute to the conservation of the Sumatran Rhino using advanced reproduction technology. Colossal Biosciences hopes to have the first wooly mammoth hybrid calves by 2027 with a plan to reintroduce them to their historical range in the Arctic Tundra.
Who are the founders of Colossal Biosciences?
Colossal Biosciences was founded by George Church and Ben Lamm in 2021. Dr. George Church is a genetics professor at Harvard Medical School, known for his pioneering work in gene editing and synthetic biology. He has co-founded several biotech companies and is renowned for his contributions to the field of genomics. Ben Lamm is a serial entrepreneur and has previously co-founded several technology companies.
How is Colossal Biosciences funded?
Colossal Biosciences recently raised $150 million led by the US Innovative Technology Fund. Much of this will go towards their new Avian Genomics Group to support their aims in bringing back the Dodo. Their previous round of funding was $50 million and was led by Thomas Tull and At One Ventures.
What skills do you need to work at Colossal Biosciences?
For Embryologist roles you will need:
- MS/DVM/PHD in biological sciences, veterinary medicine, bioengineering, molecular biology, genetics, or any science related field.
- At least three years of experience in the generation of genetically engineered model organisms (nuclear transfer, pronuclear and cytoplasmic injections of one-cell zygotes, electroporation of embryos, and ES cell injections blastocysts)
- Strong expertise in nuclear transfer, microinjection and cryopreservation and reproductive biology workflows
Scientist in Genome Engineering
For Scientist roles in Genome Engineering you will need:
- PhD/MS in synthetic biology, bioengineering, molecular biology, genetics or related field is required, or 3+ years hands-on expertise in genetics and genomic manipulation
- Solid understanding and hands-on experience with current editing techniques, including CRISPR-Cas9
- Experience with cell culture, DNA/RNA transfection, bacterial culture, recombinant DNA cloning techniques, primer design and PCR, gel electrophoresis, nucleic acid extraction and purification
- High throughput screening experience or automation methods
- NGS library prep, immunostaining and flow cytometry experience
- Animal tissue culture experience
- Current experience with next-generation editing tools
Colossal Biosciences Articles
Colossal Biosciences Blog
Colossal Biosciences Twitter
Colossal Biosciences Podcasts
Interested in Working in Biotech? Check out our profile of Arcadia Science here